Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Field Work Blog 2

One on One Experience 

I had a wonderful opportunity to work one on one with an ELL learner. Elise (name changed) has moved here from Mexico, and speaks very little English. She needs extra help with reading and writing, and doesn't communicate much. Mrs. Wilson had me pull her aside to the back table and do some reading exercises with her while rest of the class worked on their guided reading. We read a simple book (about 1st grade level). She did very well- but got easily confused on words like "looked". We practiced the words she struggled with, and then I spoke some sight words aloud to her and she had to write them down. Because I spoke a little Spanish to her, she opened up to me. Mrs Wilson said she hasn't gotten that far with Elise so quickly in one sitting before, and was very impressed. I was grateful for the opportunity to work with her, especially since her level is so different from the other 6th grade students. 

This experience brought to my mind the impact that diversity can have in our classrooms. We do not discriminate, we do not leave any children out. Everyone deserves an education. Just like those who fought for desegregation in schools, we know that including all students is what is right and fair. We see the impact of diversity and inclusion in our schools today. Their efforts have lead to so many more kids being included and learning in ways they maybe would not have. I am grateful for those who stood up for what they believed in, and brought all children together to learn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment